Monday, January 16, 2012

Samuel Howard Sloan a/k/a Haji Mohammed Ismail Sloan Announces Candidacy For Libertarian Party's Presidential Nomination In 2012

On January 13, 2012, Samuel Howard Sloan a/k/a Haji Mohammed Ismail Sloan, a member of the national Libertarian Party, who has registered his candidacy and his campaign committee with the Federal Election Commission, announced his intention to seek the Libertarian Party's Presidential Nomination in 2012.

Below is the Statement of Candidacy and Platform submitted by Sam Sloan:

"I have decided to become a candidate for President of the United States. My main reason for taking this step is that I am deeply disappointed with the field of candidates that have announced thus far. None of them are suitable to become President, in my opinion. I know I can do better.

I most recently was runner-up for the New York State Libertarian Party's Gubernatorial Nomination in 2010 and have been an enrolled "Libertarian Party" member for many years. I maintain residences in New York and California. I am a member of the Libertarian Party of Queens County.

Here is my basic campaign platform:

End The Drug War

As President, I will work to abolish all laws making criminal the use or possession of any drug. I will also release from prison anyone convicted solely of such offenses. I believe as a constitutional and human right everybody has the right to decide on what drugs they will use. I am a book publisher and within the last week I have published two books on alternative medicine. The government simply does not have the right to stop anybody from using these drugs. I mention this point first because, in my view, this is the litmus test for being a Libertarian. Anybody who does not agree on this point should not, under any circumstances, be considered for the Libertarian Party as a candidate for any office. Yet, all too often in the past, candidates have received the Libertarian Party nomination without being able to pass this litmus test or without even being asked this question.

Drastically Reduce The Size of Government

Every candidate since I was a kid has promised to reduce the size of government but, once they were elected, did the opposite. I will keep the promise that nobody else has kept. I promise to run a surplus until the national debt has been paid off. I will never bail out anybody. I will never ask for the debt ceiling to be increased. At the same time, I am a Libertarian. I am not an anarchist. I do not want to abolish paper money. I will simply cut spending and use the surplus to pay off the national debt. This is a promise often made but
never kept.

Gay Rights & Marriage Equality

Anybody who knows my history knows that my record on supporting gay rights is second to none. I was the President of the Campus Sexual Rights Forum, an on-campus student organization at the University of California at Berkeley in the 1960s. As a Libertarian, my long term goal is to get the government out of the marriage business. However, so long as the government continues to issue marriage licenses to opposite-sex couples, I believe the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution requires it to issue licenses to same-sex couples on "equal protection" grounds. I also support allowing men to marry more than one woman and women to marry more than one man. I have no problem with a man or woman marrying multiple partners of any gender. I couldn't care less if a person wanted to marry their cat or dog. It is simply none of the government's business.

Incarcerated Prisoners

A high percentage of all prisoners in the jails around the country are either completely not guilty or were charged with offenses that should not be crimes. There are also a lot of illegal aliens in jail. When I take office as President, I intend to order a massive release of prisoners. Those who came from other counties will be sent back home after being told if they come back to the USA they will be put back in prison to serve the remainder of their sentence. This huge release of prisoners will relieve the burden they create on taxpayers.

End Foreign Wars

Make no mistake, I am no pacifist. There are times when the USA must intervene. However, those times are few and far between. We did the right thing by eliminating Osama bin Laden. I am strongly opposed to bombing any country that has not bombed or threatened to bomb us first. It is not our duty to defend foreign countries although we should do so under extreme and rare circumstances. Three of my uncles saw the heaviest fighting in World War II. My uncle Edward Sloan participated in the Invasion of Iwo Jima. Another uncle, Newell Jacobson, fought in the Battle of the Bulge. A third uncle Alden Jacobson, was a B-29 Bomber pilot who flew 30 bombing missions over Japan and was the pilot of a support aircraft to the aircraft that dropped the A-Bomb on Nagasaki. He saw the bomb go off. I have eight children. One daughter served four years in the U.S. Marines including the War in Iraq. Two of my sons are in the U.S. Army now preparing for deployment in Afghanistan. I understand the costs of war and entering into it should not be a decision taken lightly.

Habeas Corpus

The constitutional right of habeas corpus has been virtually abolished in the last two decades. Recent legislation passed by Congress and signed by the President allows Americans to be abducted and held
without any right to challenge their detention. This reflects a general loss of civil liberties in this country. It is a trend I would reverse once elected President."

Sam Sloan welcomes all invitations to participate in debates and/or to attend Libertarian Party State Conventions. You can e-mail Mr. Sloan at SamHSloan@gmail.com or you may call him directly at 1-415-349-6116.

No comments:

Post a Comment