Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Robbie Greenberger, Proud Crew Member Of The USS Rebel Crusader, Requests Permission To Disembark

Robbie Greenberger, a proud crew member of the USS Rebel Crusader since June 30, 2005, passed away from leukemia on August 14, 2008. He was only 20 years old.

Robbie first joined the USS Rebel Crusader on June 30, 2005. In welcoming him aboard, Dr. Tom Stevens, Commanding Officer of the USS Rebel Crusader, wrote the following note:

I am pleased to announce that Robbie Greenberger has joined the crew of the USS Rebel Crusader, effective immediately. Robbie lives in Fairfield, Connecticut and has attended Sci-Fi/Star Trek fan cons since he was 3 months old. Even though Robbie is new to the IFT, I have given him the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade 3. He will hold the position of Pleasure Director aboard our ship and is dedicated to making sure you enjoy your service on the USS Rebel Crusader. Robbie is a personal friend of mine and is a charismatic, talented, and friendly individual who has a great future. It is my honor to be his friend. Welcome aboard Robbie!!

Robbie Greenberger wrote an e-mail on July 1, 2005 introducing himself to his new crew. The text of that e-mail was as follows:

Hey, I, Robbie Greenberger, a new member aboard your ship figured you might like to know a little about me and what my job on the ship involves. I'm a 17 year old male that has been living in the Star Trek world since I was born. My first convention was Shore Leave 8. I have been involved with other conventions as well, like Farpoint, Lunacon, and I-Con. Those are the most common ones I go to. Other than that, I watched the shows and read a few of the books. My job on the ship is to make sure everyone has a chance to relax and do something enjoyable. I plan parties and movie nights. I help people pick what they want to do on the Shore Leaves and I also help with anything else they need to relax. I try to treat everyone equally but there has to be a few exceptions, like the Captain. I need to keep him happy or we will all be miserable. I also plan shows for everyone and give crewmen the chance to act and have fun. Well that is just a little about me you can always drop me an e-mail if you have more questions or need help in the recreational department.

Robbie Greenberger
Pleasure Director

On July 11, 2005, Robbie Greenberger reported to the crew about his Shore Leave Masquerade Victory. He wrote:

For those of you that were at Shore Leave, you may have seen me in the costume contest. The skit I was in was called Depth Charge and starred Captain Jack Sparrow and Gibs on stage talking about Jack's new pirate crew. Then "In The Navy" plays and Willy Wonka walks out and starts to sing, followed by J. M. Barry (which I played) coming out with his duck and Indian Headdress on with war paint, after which came Ed Wood, followed by Edward Scissorhands. Then we do this whole dance to the music while singing. We won two awards -- First Place in the Showcase of Champions and then Best Presentation.

Robbie Greenberger
Pleasure Director

On July 12, 2005, Robbie Greenberger was elevated in rank from Lieutenant Junior Grade 3 to Lieutenant Junior Grade 2.

On August 1, 2005, Robbie invited crew members to see him in "Into The Woods", a musical he was performing in. His posted invitation was as follows:

I have been involved with a play where I live. Our show dates are coming up. They are Friday, August 5th at 8 p.m., Saturday, August 6th at 8 p.m., Sunday, August 7th at 2 p.m., Friday, August 12th at 8 p.m., and Saturday, August 13th at 8 p.m.. I thought that any interested crewman could come and see this play. We are doing "Into the Woods". I would give you directions but there are so many places you all come from I thought that you could use Mapquest from your location. The play is at Rodger Ludlowe Middle school in Fairfield, CT 06824. You can buy tickets at the door. Hope you all have a good day and if you have any questions just drop me an e-mail and I will do my best to answer it.

On November 27, 2005, Robbie Greenberger left his position as Pleasure Director and was appointed the Chief Medical Officer for the USS Rebel Crusader. My e-mail to the crew announcing his appointment was the following:

Effective immediately, Robbie Greenberger, our Pleasure Director, has been appointed Chief Medical Officer of the USS Rebel Crusader. Mr. Greenberger is well-suited for the position since his awareness of all the pleasure points on the human body reflect a large store of knowledge he will bring with him to his new officership. However, due to his expanded responsibilities and his obligation to take care of the health of the crew, he has had to dismiss those who served on his Pleasure Staff. While he will no longer be in a position to attend to the needs of the crew, he has agreed to continue to make the pleasure of his Commanding Officer his highest priority. I appreciate Robbie's dedication and loyalty to the ship and to me personally. He continues to enjoy my full confidence and I hope to inspire him to achieve great things in the months and years ahead.

In Service,

Dr. Tom Stevens
Commanding Officer
USS Rebel Crusader

Robbie went through a difficult time in his personal life from February 20, 2006 until March 23, 2007. During that time, he served as a Crewman with rank of Ensign 3. However, on March 23, 2007, he was appointed Chief Science Officer of the USS Rebel Crusader and given the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade 1.

On April 9, 2007, he wrote a new welcome message to the crew, the text of which was the following:

Hello to all the crew,

Hi, my name is Robbie Greenberger and I am your new Chief Science Officer. I am happy to be back on the ship. For a little while I was away but I am back and ready for action. I am a college kid who attends Central Connecticut State University. I am either going to major in Chemistry or Marine Science. I am really big into the sciences which is why I will make a great Chief Science Officer. I attend a ton of conventions so I can represent the ship while I am there and I love Star Trek. I'm not really sure what else to say. If any one has questions, I can always answer them. I hope everyone has a good day.

Robbie Greenberger
Chief Science Officer
USS Rebel Crusader

Robbie Greenberger asked on April 11, 2007 for the National Day of Silence to be an official ship event. It was so declared. Robbie, a self-identified bi-sexual, referred crew members to the Day of Silence website at http://www.dayofsilence.org/ and explained that the "National Day of Silence brings attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. Each year the event has grown, now with hundreds of thousands of students coming together to encourage schools and classmates to address the problem of anti-LGBT behavior." The ship was proud to support Robbie in this activity for a worthy cause.

Robbie was diagnosed with leukemia in January, 2008. Since he was not working after that, I paid his dues renewal in the International Federation of Trekkers when it became due on March 31, 2008. Robbie appreciated my gesture and I was happy to do it for him. Robbie passed away on August 14, 2008 and sought final permission to disembark. His request was granted.

The USS Rebel Crusader (NFC-9902) is a Star Trek/Sci-Fi/Action Hero fan ship associated with the International Federation of Trekkers. Its slogan is "Rock Hard and Ready" and the ship's motto is "Never Go Off Half-Cocked".

In Service,

Dr. Tom Stevens
Commanding Officer
USS Rebel Crusader

No comments:

Post a Comment